Page 6 - ISAKOS 2020 Newsletter Volume 2
P. 6

An Invaluable Resource for the Orthopaedic Community
The Journal of ISAKOS (JISAKOS) publishes high-quality peer-reviewed articles from the international community of orthopaedic surgeons and sports medicine physicians. JISAKOS articles provide highly relevant, state-of-the-art information to help busy sports medicine professionals understand how to achieve the best results for their patients.
Key fields of interest include:
• Orthopaedic sports medicine • Sports traumatology
• Arthroscopy
• Open and arthroscopic knee surgery • Degenerative joint disease
• Arthroplasty
• Foot and ankle
• Hip
• Elbow and wrist
• Sports injury rehabilitation • Team coverage
To provide readers with the most relevant information, JISAKOS publishes several different types of articles, including Original Research articles, Current Concepts Reviews, Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses, State-of-the-Art Reviews, “The Classic” articles, Case Reports, and Technical Notes. Detailed descriptions of each article type can be found on the ISAKOS website at A selection of recent and upcoming JISAKOS articles representing a wide range of topics and article types are summarized below. For the full articles, please visit
Arthroscopic Anatomic Glenoid Reconstruction for Anteroinferior Shoulder Instability
Daniel McNeil, Matthew Provencher, Ivan H. Wong
Systematic Review
McNeil et al. performed a systematic review of the literature on several techniques of arthroscopic anatomic glenoid reconstruction (AAGR) for the treatment of anteroinferior shoulder instability. Twenty-seven studies published between 2008 and 2019 were identified for inclusion, and clinical results were available for 237 patients ranging in age from 16 to 67 years. Iliac crest autograft was used in 60% of patients, iliac crest allograft was used in 22%, and distal tibial allograft was used in 18%. Capsuloligamentous repair was performed with suture anchors in 95% of patients; the remaining 5% did not have soft-tissue repair. Patient satisfaction was high (90%), with low rates of instability (5%). Clinical examination demonstrated satisfactory range of motion, with good functional outcomes according to a variety of scoring instruments. Radiographic evaluation revealed high union rates (97%) but also high rates of resorption (range, 10% and 32%). The authors concluded that the current evidence demonstrates that AAGR is a safe procedure with good short-term to medium-term results that is worthy of further study.
How to Handle Minor and Major Bone Loss in the Shoulder
Giovanni Di Giacomo, Mattia Pugliese,
Denny Tjiauw Tjoen Lie, Andrew Chia Chen Chou, Jiwu Chen, Nahum Rosenberg, Eiji Itoi
Current Concepts Review
Anterior shoulder instability is a challenging problem that has a major impact on quality of life, especially in young, active patients. A variety of surgical strategies can effectively address this issue. However, consensus is lacking on the parameters that favor one technique over another, especially when bone loss is present. This is because of the complex, dynamic interplay between humeral and glenoid bone loss (i.e., bipolar bone loss). There is an ongoing debate over the percentage of glenoid bone loss warranting bone block procedures: 13.5-15% has been used as an indicator for some procedures, although this value is not uniformly accepted. A multitude of other factors (i.e., age, sex, level of activity, etc.) come into play alongside bipolar bone loss, and the weight of each factor has yet to be fully elucidated. Refining the algorithm for determining the right procedure for the right patients will reduce the number of side effects stemming from a suboptimal treatment choice. Knowing how to manage a previous failure of surgical treatment is also key for the treating orthopaedic surgeon, who must be able to address the root cause of failure and react accordingly. The authors analyze key factors related treatment choice, summarize the current stance of the literature, and emphasize the need for further research.
Joint Disorders & Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

   4   5   6   7   8