Call for Applicants - JISAKOS Editor in Chief
The International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) invites candidates to apply for the position of
Editor in Chief (EIC) of its flagship, peer-reviewed, open access publication, Journal of ISAKOS (JISAKOS). The EIC will serve for a term
of three (3) years that will begin in July of 2023.
The ISAKOS Mission is to advance the worldwide exchange and dissemination of education, research and patient care in arthroscopy, knee surgery and orthopaedic sports medicine. Its journal, JISAKOS, is a key vehicle for educational content delivery, as well as a highly visible part of the organization and its membership. More about ISAKOS can be found here.
JISAKOS is an online only, open access orthopaedics journal that synthesizes the latest research and evidence-based guidelines in orthopaedic
sports medicine and traumatology — including joint disorders — to provide busy orthopaedic surgeons and specialists a thorough reference for diagnosing
and treating patients. JISAKOS features articles in Original Research, State of the Art Reviews, Systematic Reviews, Current Concepts Reviews,
Novel Techniques, Case Reports, Video-based articles, Commentaries, and more. Key fields of interest include orthopaedic sports medicine, sports
traumatology, arthroscopy, degenerative joint disease, arthroplasty, sports injury rehabilitation, team coverage, and more.
The journal is Medline indexed and has been accepted by Clarivate into the Emerging Sources Citation Index for future calculation of a
journal impact factor. The editorial team is dedicated to providing rapid publication of research through the journal's continuous online
publication model and gold Open Access model.
JISAKOS publishes 6 issues a year, in partnership with Elsevier. The EIC will be the public voice and provide vision for the JISAKOS,
plus lead a team of Associate Editors and specialty and section editors in conducting peer review of manuscripts submitted for publication.
The primary responsibilities of the EIC of JISAKOS include the following:
- Providing a clear vision for the direction of the Journal.
- Acting as ambassador of the Journal to the international author/editor/reviewer and ISAKOS member communities.
- Identifying and appointing qualified Associate Editors, specialty editors, and other key members of the Editorial Board to
create a cohesive team of experts who will work to raise the impact of JISAKOS.
- Soliciting high-quality manuscripts from potential authors, deciding which manuscripts to publish, and assisting
authors to develop their manuscripts for publication.
- Selecting a sufficient pool of expert reviewers to reach conclusions and make decisions on manuscripts in a timely manner.
- Overseeing the peer review of manuscripts to ensure the journal publishes only the highest quality and most relevant manuscripts in the field.
- Ensuring that the journal peer review process is managed in a timely manner, to make JISAKOS a top destination for the best submissions in the field.
- Working with the Publisher and editorial team to effectively and efficiently review, accept and publish JISAKOS submissions.
Candidates must have demonstrated scholarship and recognized leadership in advancing fields relevant to ISAKOS and the content areas for the Journal.
The Editor Search Committee desires the following qualifications:
- MD and/or PhD degree or equivalent and should hold an ongoing clinical practice and/or academic position.
- Extensive authoring and editing experience in prominent, peer-reviewed scholarly journals and experience as a
reviewer with a proven track record for excellence and timeliness.
- Access to a broad network of experts working in fields relevant to the content areas of JISAKOS.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to meet the time demands of the Editor position.
Interested individuals should prepare and submit an application to the ISAKOS office via email to Hilary Merliner (email@example.com).
Please include the following with your application email:
- A letter of application describing your qualifications for the role of EIC of JISAKOS,
including past experience as an editor or member of an editorial team, history of scholarship and
surgical expertise in the field, and demonstrated capacity to manage deadlines and to attract contributors;
- A statement of your vision for JISAKOS under your leadership including how you would assemble a team and implement that vision;
- Your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume;
- Applicants will be provided with a list of questions that that the JISAKOS Editor Search Committee requests be answered and returned to the committee.
The deadline for receipt of application materials, including Q&A responses is December 15, 2022.
The ISAKOS Office and/or Chair of the Editor Search Committee will reach out to applicants for any clarification, if needed.
After the search committee has reviewed the applications and Q&A documents, finalists will be selected, and interviews with
finalists will be scheduled in March 2023 during the AAOS conference in Las Vegas, NV.
By December 15, 2022: Submit application (including letter of interest, CV, Q&A and vision for JISAKOS)
January 2023: Search Committee Review of candidates
February 2023: Finalists invited to in-person interview
March 2023: In-person interviews with search committee (in Las Vegas during AAOS 2023)
By March 31: Offer letter sent; acceptance letter received
April-June, 2023: Transition/On-boarding period
June 18-21, 2023: New Editor in Chief Introduced at ISAKOS 2023 in Boston